daily hiking routes - all levels!
COVADONGA through the less traveled path
There is no trip to Asturias that won’t take you to Covandonga. The natural and historical importance of the place makes this visit a must. The inconvenience that sometimes make the time here less enjoyable can be the peak season crowd. Well, you are lucky you found us! we believe it is possible to enjoy Covadonga in a different way, and we have designed this route to show you. You will be surprised!
Take the bus from Covadonga to the lakes, along the 12 km of the winding mountain road which has been more than once the scenery of the Cycling Tour of Spain.
Spend some time enjoying the early morning lights at the Covadonga lakes, which was the first National Park in Spain, and start hiking down discovering the remains of the ancient mining activity of the area. Arrive to one of the most beautiful meadows of Picos de Europa: Vega de Comeya, a natural site full of history.
Walk through folds spotted with shepherd huts, go into beech and oak groves, pass by holly and hazelnut trees to reach the hidden place where the Mestas river disappears inside a huge cave. The very same river which appears as a waterfall at the Holy Cave of Covadonga.
Once there you can visit the Holy Cave, a crucial scene where a rebellion took place and changed the history of Spain. The route you’ve just walked was the same path the muslim army used when they escaped from the asturians troops after a fierce battle in the VIII century.
You can visit then the Covadonga cathedral and have a traditional lunch in the area (let us know if you’d like us to book a table for you!)
- Enjoy a very little traveled route where history and nature merge in an incomparable setting.
- Ground zero for the reintroduction of the bearded vulture in the National Park.
- You are going to earn the fabada (traditional beans stew).
- Meeting time: 8:00 am.
- Duration: 5 hours.
- Altitude: 1000m+
- Distance: 15 km
- Level of difficulty : moderate.
- Route type: linear.
- Path type: mountain path. Chance of muddy ground.
- Group size: 2-10 people (if the date comes and there is just 1 person in the group we will offer the opportunity to do the hike for an additional price).
- Meeting point: Covadonga.
Price / person
<2 people supplement: +30 €
Enjoy a private route at your own pace!: +50 €
- Official mountain guide with wide experience in the area.
- Casualty and civil liability insurances.
- First-aid kit and safety gear.
- Bus to Covadonga Lakes.
- Insider tips.
- Don’t you speak spanish? We got you! Choose english language option while booking this route.
- Transport to the meeting point.
- Food and beverages.
- Gratuities (optional).