daily hiking routes - all levels!
PEÑA MAIN, best views of the urriellu
Here you have the COMPLETE mountain trek.
It has got it all: altitude and length; variety of terrain; natural, ethnographic and gastronomic wealth; and likely the best views of one of the most famous mountains in Spain: the Pico Urriellu or Naranjo de Bulnes.
Legend has it that from here, every spring, the Villaviciosa marquis, with wet eyes and full of emotion, used to whisper to the impressive limestone mass of the Urriello peak: “how was winter, my old friend?”. The marquis together with his guide, el Cainejo, were the first people to climb and reach the summit of this iconic mountain in 1904. The Urriellu became the symbol of Picos de Europa and the alpinism all over the country.
This alternative trek to Peña Maín comprises all kind of native landscaping. Crossing meadows and folds we will continue going through an astonishing thick forest to reach the limestone realm of Picos de Europa summits. It will be a real privilege to contemplate from this point the tree highest peaks of each massif: Peña Santa (2.596m), Torrecerredo (2.648m) and Morra de Lechugales (2.444m).
The bonus at the end of the route will be to savor a delicious world famous asturian blue cheese, the icing of the cake to a faboulous hiking experience.
- Get to know the diverse landscapes of Picos de Europa.
- Get thrilled by the impressive views of the Urriellu and the three massifs.
- Enjoy an absolute MOUNTAINEERING activity.
- Meeting time: 8:00 am.
- Duration: 7 hours.
- Altitude: 1200m+
- Distance: 17 km
- Level of difficulty : high.
- Route type: circular
- Path type: Pista, senda y algún tramo de carretera. Posible vegetación abundante y barro en tramos puntuales.
- Group size: 2-10 people (if the date comes and there is just 1 person in the group we will offer the opportunity to do the hike for an additional price).
- Meeting point: Arenas de Cabrales.
Price / person
<2 people supplement: +50 €
Enjoy a private route at your own pace!: +80 €
- Official mountain guide with wide experience in the area.
- Casualty and civil liability insurances.
- First-aid kit and safety gear.
- Insider tips.
- Don’t you speak spanish? We got you! Choose english language option while booking this route.
- Transport to the meeting point.
- Food and beverages.
- Gratuities (optional).